So why is regular “healthy” cereal so bad? It’s full of whole grains right? Full of vitamins? Part of a balanced day? Starts you off well and keeps you full? It’s organic and so must be healthy? These are all myths. The invention of breakfast cereal is one of the first convenience foods. They are cheap to make, and are seen as an easy answer to the morning schedule. They have become nothing more than a bowl of sugar, corn or wheat, with milk and vitamins added. They have almost become desserts. They are packaged in bright, vibrant, exciting packages aiming mainly at children. Or the “healthy cereals” usually have fields and nature on the front, and typically in brown recycled paper boxes, to somehow give it “sustainable and healthy” credentials.
Try this GRAIN FREE GRANOLA instead. Super easy to make and absolutely delicious served with full fat yoghurt and berries! YUM
- 250g / 9oz coconut chips/flakes
- 60g / 2 oz linseeds/flaxseeds
- 100g / 3.5 oz sunflower seeds
- 100g / 3.5 oz pumpkin seeds
- 70g / 2.5 oz walnut pieces
- 50g / 1.8 oz coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Place all the coconuts, seeds and nuts in a large roasting or baking dish with high sides.
- Melt the coconut oil and add the cinnamon and ginger.
- Pour over the grain free granola mix and mix thoroughly with a large spoon or spatula. Make sure everything has a fine coating of the oil and spices.
- Bake at 180C / 350F for 20 minutes.
- The mixture can burn very easily so I turn the mixture with the large spoon every 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool thoroughly and place in airtight containers.
Recipe credit to: http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/06/17/grain-free-granola/